Grassington Town Centre
Situated in the heart
of Upper Wharfedale is Grassington, granted a Royal Charter for a
market and fair in 1282, which makes it a town although many locals
refer to it as a village. The market ceased to be held during the
second half of the 19th century. Today the town welcomes a large number
of visitors attracted by it's pubs, hotels, gift shops, restaurants and
||Nearby is Grass
Woods, an ancient area of woodland containing Fort Gregory, an iron age
fort. There are also lead mines in the area which brought prosperity to
Grassington with the heyday being during the Industrial Revoloution
years of the late 18th and much of the 19th centuries. The arrival of a
railway in nearby Threshfield in 1901 brought more trade to the town.
Today the railway serves the nearby quarry.
There is a Yorkshire Dales Visitor Centre in Grassington.
Grassington's narrow streets.
In 1909 Grassington received it's first
electricity from a hydro-electric plant at Linton Falls. Today the town
is connected to the National Grid but there are plans to restore the
hydro-electric plant using Achimedes Screws generating over 500
megawatts of electricity per hour.
holds an annual two week festival featuring music, visual arts and
performances. Held in a variety of locations in and around Grassington,
recent participants have included Toyah Wilcox and Jo Brand. It usually
takes place during the second half of June, ending in early July. Mark Almond will be performing at 2016's Last Night Party.
The Cobbled Market