DENTDALE AND COWGILL
The cobblestoned village of Dent is one of the Yorkshire Dales's prettiest villages. Originally in the West Riding of Yorkshire the county boundary change of 1974 placed the village in the new county of Cumbria which was formed mainly out of Cumberland, Westmoorland and the Furness area of Lancashire.
Dent was the birthplace of geologist, Adam Sedgewick in 1785 and a memorial to him is the centrepiece of the village.
Four miles (6.5km) from Dent is Cowgill. Both Dent Brewery and Dent Station on the Settle to Carlisle line are found here. Dent Station is the highest mainline railway station in the country.
A annual beer and music festival takes place in Dent over the last weekend of June.
There are two pubs in Dent, The Sun Inn and George & Dragon both owned by Dent Brewery. The Sportsman's Inn in Cowgill is a family owned pub.
The local CofE church is St. Andrew's and is part of the Diocese of Carlisle.
Dominating Dentdale to the east of Dent Village are two of the spectacular viaducts on the Settle to Carlisle Railway.
As in most of the other Dales there are caves and Ibbeth Peril is a popular trip for cavers of all abilities.
Passenger train hauled by classic diesel locomotives crossing Dent Head Viaduct