The Upper and Lower Gorple Reservoirs
were both completed in 1934 and both have similar
surface area although Upper Gorple reservoir has
the greater capacity at 381,000,000 gallons while
Lower Gorple has 227,000,000 gallons. Widdop
Reservoir was built in 1878 and has almost the
combined surface area of the other two and a
capacity of 633,000,000 gallons. The Walshaw Dean
Reservoirs were buit by Enoch Tempest who was
responsible for the construction of several local
reservoirs in the first years of the 20th
Century. The Pennine Way follows the shores of
the Walshaw Dean Reservoirs.
Serving the construction of the reservoirs was
the Hardcastle Crags Railway, pictures of which
can be seen in the Packhorse Inn.