||Grid Reference: NY883380
Upper Weardale, Co. Durham between Ireshopeburn and Daddry Shield.
Originally a Medieval hunting stop, St. John's Chapel became
a centre for lead mining in the 17th Century. The Weardale
Extension Railway had a stop here and carried
||limestone, flourspar, iron ore
and lead ore from the mines to the industrial areas of the north-east
of England. Passenger traffic on the railway ceased in 1953
and the line was closed to all traffic ten years later.
The village is popular with cyclists being on the C2C Cycle Route
Weardale Alternative. There are two pubs here, the Blue Bell
and the Golden Lion and a café, the Chatterbox.
Weardale Show is an annual event which is organised by the
Agricultural Society and is held in the last weekend in August.
Weardale Town Hall