Built in 1932, Stocks Reservoir was opened by HRH Prince George K.G. A 3 foot (91.4 cm) guage railway linking with a railhead at Long Preston was used in the construction of the reservoir.
The reservoir is popular with walkers and there is a fly fishery which is well used during the summer months.
The reservoir is in Gisburn Forest and not far away is the Gisburn Hub, used by cyclists.
The reservoir is managed by United Utlities.